Friday, October 25, 2013

I've always wanted to do something fun with this photo of my son from a harvest fest last year.   This is my entry for the Scraps of Darkness lift a designer challenge.  It is an homage to the wonderful Vivian Keh,  a designer/educator at SOD.  It is based on her stellar concentrated to diffuse tutorial, that you can find a link for over at SOD.
 
 
 
For the background, I started by tearing bleeding art tissue, wetting the paper, laying the art tissue, wetting it from the top.  After it dried, I peeled it off and it resulted in the nice watercolor effect.  After that, I added some yellow acrylic colorwash, applied from a spray bottle.  The next step was adding the dot pattern, using stencil and some modeling paste colored with a little acrylic paint.
 
 
 
After that, I used a hot glue gun to apply the "veins."  I then used various inks, heavily applied so that they would run.  I started with light colors and moved to darker.  Since I wanted the dark pooling, I dried with a heat tool.  Afterward, I applied matte gel to the hot glue veins so they would take paint well, and applied inka gold using a brush.
 
 
 
Finally, I used ink and inka gold on a cut piece of burlap.  For the Magic chippie, I painted with some red acrylic, then painted over with inka gold, and finally applied some Tim Holtz crackle paint.  For the leaves, I used a Tim Holtz stamp on paper that I colored with inks.  And lastly, I outlined with a metallic gold pen.
 
I am really happy about how this turned out, and the fact that I was able to create something special for my son's cute photo!
 

1 comment: